Jul 17, 2024  
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog (In Progress) 
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog (In Progress)

2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog (In Progress)

Catalog Information

This catalog does not constitute a contract between a student and Anderson University either expressed or implied, and Anderson University reserves the right at any time to change, delete, or add to any of the content at its sole discretion. This policy also applies to the Student Handbook, The Music Handbook, The Teacher Education Handbook, and any other official university publication that may contain descriptions of academic program requirements, student services, or rules and regulations regarding student behavior. The catalog contains the program offerings, the graduation requirements, the academic policies, and the student services currently in effect. The administration and faculty believe that the educational and other programs of Anderson University described in this catalog are effective and valuable. However, the ultimate results of programs offered in terms of achievement, employment, professional licensing, or other measure, are dependent on factors outside the programs, such as the personality and energy of the student, governmental or institutional regulations, and market conditions. Therefore, except as specifically stated herein, the University makes no representation or contract that following a particular course or curriculum will result in specific achievement, employment or qualification for employment, admission to degree programs, or licensing for particular professions or occupations.

Notice of Non-Discrimination

Anderson University does not illegally discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the University is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other University-administered programs. In order to fulfill its purpose, the University may legally discriminate on the basis of religion in employment. The University is exempt from the application of certain regulations promulgated under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 which conflict with the University’s religious tenets.

The following person has been designated to handle inquiries or complaints regarding the non-discrimination policy, compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and inquiries or complaints regarding the disability non-discrimination policy, including compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973:

Dr. L. Dianne King
Associate Vice President for Student Development/Dean of Student Success/
Title IX Coordinator
Thrift Library Office 203
316 Boulevard, Anderson, SC 29621
(864) 231-2026/(864) 231-2075

A report may also be made to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights:

U.S. Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights
400 Maryland Ave., SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-1328
Email Address: ocr@ed.gov
Web: http://www.ed.gov/ocr

Policy on Student Complaints

Anderson University strives to achieve the highest standards in providing services to students. However, we recognize that concerns or complaints may arise from time to time. In the event that a student wishes to submit a complaint regarding a university policy, process, or personnel, the university will seek to investigate such instances fairly and thoroughly, ensure the process is unbiased, and resolve the matter at the earliest possible opportunity.

Information collected is confidential and will only be disclosed to those with a need to know for the purpose of resolving the issue. However, the university is required to share information with its accrediting agency regarding the number and type of complaints it receives. When making such disclosure, the identities of those involved will not be revealed to the agency without the written consent of the complainant or as required by law.

If a student has a question about the appropriate procedure to address a concern or complaint, the student should contact the Office of the Provost, studentcomplaints@andersonuiversity.edu.

Informal Resolution of Problems

As scripture teaches (Matthew 18:15-17), we encourage students to discuss their concerns with the appropriate individual(s) before initiating a formal complaint. Many issues can be resolved by making an appointment with the appropriate faculty or staff member and calmly and honestly communicating the concern(s).

If the issue cannot be resolved or the student believes they have been treated unfairly or arbitrarily or the university did not follow established policy, the student may submit a formal complaint.

Special Circumstances

Problems related to the following matters should not be initiated through the formal complaint process. Rather, they should first be addressed by the university offices and personnel dedicated for these purposes and topics.

  • Academic Integrity (Office of the Provost)
  • Accomodations for Students with Disabilities (Office of Accessibility Services)
  • Discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, religion, genetic informaiton, veteran or military status, or any other basis (Associate Vice President for Student Development)
  • Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act - FERPA (Office of the Registrar)
  • Good Academic Standing (Office of the Provost)
  • Grade Appeal (Instructor/Academic Dean)
  • Harassment or Discrimination on the basis of sex or gender - Title IX (Title IX/504 Grievance Coordinator)
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (Financial Aid)
  • Student Conduct Discipline (Student Development Office)

Conditions for Submitting a Formal Complaint

Students may submit a formal complaint when they: 

  • believe a policy or procedure has been incorrectly or unfairly applied to their case.
  • have a complaint about the behavior of a member of the university community that does not fall within the categories cited above.

Submitting a formal complaint should not be construed as an appeals process. Many university policies have established appeals processes. Where an appeals process exists, students are expected to follow those steps before filing a formal complaint. In such cases, a formal complaint should only be submitted if the appeals process was not followed.

To file a formal complaint, a student must complete the complaint form in its entirety including providing their identity. Anonymous complaints will not be accepted. Complaints must be submitted within 30 days of the event or circumstance that triggered the complaint.

Steps for Submitting a Formal Complaint

  1. Using this link provided below, a student should complete the complaint form in its entirety, providing as much detail as possible including dates, locations, and the names of individuals involved.
  2. Once the form has been submitted, the student will receive an email confirming that the complaint has been received.
  3. The complaint will be automatically sent to the office identified by the student as most relevant to the issue.
  4. A representative of that office will contact the student within 14 days of receiving the complaint. Additional information or documentation may be requested by the office in order to resolve the complaint.  Students are expected to respond to requests for additional information or documentation. Failing to do so within the time period specified by the office(s) involved may result in the complaint being dismissed.
  5. A final written determination will be sent to the student within 10 days of the complaint outcome or as soon thereafter as possible.

Record of Formal Compliants

The university is required to share information with its accrediting agency regarding the number and type of complaints it receives. Therefore, a record of formal complaints and their resolution will be kept indefinitely by the university. When necessary to disclose information about student complaints to the agency, the identities of those involved will not be revealed without the written consent of the complainant or as required by law.

Withdrawing a Formal Complaint

A student may withdraw a formal complaint at any point by contacting the Office of the Provost and requesting in writing the withdrawal of the complaint. A rationale for the withdrawal of the complaint may be required.

Complaints to Third Parties

SC Commission for Higher Education (SCCHE)

The SC Commission for Higher Education (SCCHE) responds to formal complaints against public, independent non-profit, and proprietary institutions of higher education in SouthCarolina. The SCCHE may be reached by contacting:

Academic Affairs and Licensing
1122 Lady Street, Suite 300, Columbia, SC 29201
Telephone (803) 737-2260; FAX (803) 737-2297;

Website: www.che.sc.gov

For SCCHE Complaint Information, Procedures, Form, and Authorization, please click here.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)

Anderson University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Questions about the accreditation of Anderson University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 SouthernLane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, by calling 404.679.4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).

The policy and procedures for complaints against SACSCOC or its accredited institutions canbe found at SACSCOC Complaint Policy.