Jun 13, 2024  
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies


Like all institutions, Anderson University has requirements that must be met before a degree can be awarded. Such requirements include curricular expectations, Christian Life and Student Development programs, and satisfactory progress in light of certain policies and procedures. Advisors and administrators are committed to assisting students as they meet these requirements, though it is the primary responsibility of the student, however, to be acquainted with, make progress toward, and ultimately meet all degree requirements. University academic policies are subject to change with suitable notice; subsequent editions of this catalog will document such changes.

Degrees Awarded

Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements, Anderson University confers the following degrees:


  • Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts
  • Bachelor of Music
  • Bachelor of Music Education
  • Bachelor of Science
  • Bachelor of Science in Business
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing

Undergraduate (Post-Traditional):

  • Bachelor of Arts
  • Bachelor of Business Administration
  • Bachelor of Christian Studies
  • Bachelor of Criminal Justice
  • Bachelor of Emergency Services Management
  • Bachelor of Human Services
  • Bachelor of Liberal Studies
  • Bachelor of Organizational Leadership
  • Bachelor of Science
  • Bachelor of Science in Health Science
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing


  • Master of Arts
  • Master of Arts in Teaching
  • Master of Business Administration
  • Master of Criminal Justice
  • Master of Divinity
  • Master of Education
  • Master of Education: Administration and Supervision
  • Master of Ministry
  • Master of Ministry Management
  • Master of Music in Music Education
  • Master of Organizational Leadership
  • Master of Science
  • Master of Science in Nursing
  • Doctor of Ministry
  • Doctor of Nursing Practice
  • Doctor of Philosophy
  • Doctor of Physical Therapy

Programs of study, described elsewhere in this catalog, include majors, minors, and concentrations. Majors lead to a degree and consist of a prescribed set of courses and requirements of increasing sophistication. Generally, these courses are within a specific discipline, but in interdisciplinary programs, majors may include requirements from multiple disciplines. Minors are a prescribed course of study in a discipline outside the major. As such, it shares definition with the major but is less extensive. Concentrations are a prescribed set of courses providing a greater depth of study in a sub-discipline of a major. A concentration may include courses outside the major.

Completion of Second Degree

Students desiring a second bachelor’s degree must complete at least 30 semester hours beyond the requirements for the first degree, including all general education and major requirements for the second degree. Students may not earn more than one Bachelor of Arts degree or one Bachelor of Science degree at Anderson University. (Those earning a Bachelor of Science in Nursing as a second undergraduate degree are exempt from this policy.)

Degree Designations on Diplomas

Diplomas from Anderson University will bear the degree earned. The student’s transcript will list the appropriate degree, major, and concentration.

Graduation Requirements

Undergraduate Degree Requirements

Undergraduate students pursuing a degree from Anderson University must satisfy all requirements for graduation including the following:

  1. Submit an Application for Graduation and pay graduation fee.
  2. Complete total hours required for desired degree.
  3. Meet the minimum Grade Point Average requirements for Graduation for desired degree.
  4. Complete required Journey Program credits.
  5. Complete Cultural Enhancement Program requirements.
  6. Clear all financial obligations to Anderson University.

Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirements for Graduation

A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for all Anderson University courses (including Core classes and general electives). Additionally, a minimum GPA of 2.0 is required for coursework satisfying requirements for a major, minor, or certificate (including cognates and specified electives). Colleges or schools may require a higher GPA to meet graduation requirements in certain programs.

Total Credit Hours Required

Degree requirements range from 120-135 semester hours, dependent upon program of study selected.

Completion of University Core Curriculum Requirements

The University Core Curriculum requirements at Anderson University are a combination of core and distribution requirements, allowing each student a combination of coherence and choice in achieving program objectives. The program exposes students to a broad range of ideas and subjects. Requirements for degrees are listed elsewhere in this catalog.

The Journey Program

The Journey is the Anderson University Program that is equivalent to “Chapel” at other Christian institutions. The Journey Program reflects our spiritual identity and through it we have the opportunity to emphasize our spiritual development as we learn to worship and grow together. Students, along with faculty and staff are given a variety of worship services, concerts, conferences, and creative presentations designed to introduce them to the person of Jesus Christ and to help them grow spiritually through engaging His presence in their lives.

Successful completion of The Journey program is required for graduation at Anderson University. During each semester all traditional full-time students (including residents and commuters) should earn a minimum of eight (8) credits in the program. Each student in the traditional four year academic program will need to successfully pass eight (8) semesters of The Journey program in order to meet graduation requirements. A grade of CR (8 credits or more) or NC (less than 8) will be recorded on each student’s transcript. However, this grade will not affect the student’s GPA.

Exceptions - Every student who is 25 years or older and lives off campus is exempt from the Journey Program requirements. Also student teachers, students who study abroad, and students in other off campus academic internships during the semester are exempt. No make-up is required.

Students who are enrolled in the majority of online courses, as a part of a traditional four year academic program, and live off campus, may register for an online Journey program alternative.

All exemptions must be approved ahead of time and registered with the office of Campus Ministries in Sullivan Hall.

The Curriculum Enhancement Program

The purpose of the Curriculum Enhancement Program (CEP) is to enrich the student’s academic experience by providing co-curricular opportunities that reinforce the educational and personal development of students within the framework of the 18 Common Learning Outcomes (CLOs) as outlined in the AU Core Curriculum. Students will participate in required CEPs designed to assist with the transition into the AU community, promote professional readiness, and foster financial literacy. In addition to the required CEPs, students will attend at least 11 CEPs from the Student Selected offerings on campus.

Successful completion of the Curriculum Enhancement Program is required in order to graduate from Anderson University. All traditional, full-time, degree seeking students must participate in a minimum of twenty-four (24) approved CEPs to be eligible for graduation.

Students who do not complete this requirement will not be eligible for graduation until the requirements have been completed.

Students that fail to meet the CEP requirements as outlined or students that violate the Community Values and Expectations while in attendance at a CEP will be subject to discipline in the Office of Student Development.

Students over the age of 25 are exempt from completing this graduation requirement, but are strongly encouraged to participate in CEPs as his or her schedule allows.

Students can find the weekly list of CEPs on the AU411 or at andersonuniversity.edu/CEP.

Students receive credit for CEPs by scanning their AU ID card at the end of each event. It is the student’s responsibility to have their IDs scanned by the CEP student worker. CEP credits will be tracked electronically in the student’s Self-Service account. Students are responsible for monitoring their credits online and must ensure that they earn the appropriate credits in order to be eligible for graduation.

First Year CEPs (3 CEPs total):

The Office of Student Development hosts 3 required CEPs every fall and all new students are expected to participate in these CEPs. Students are expected to attend these CEPs with their AU101 group. Transfer students should attend these sessions with their alpha leader. These events are specifically designed to support a new student’s transition into the AU community.

AUPRO Signature Series (6 CEPs total):

Professional Readiness Opportunities Beyond the Classroom is a distinctive program designed by Anderson University to improve student preparation for the working world through a set of co-curricular opportunities. AU PRO will equip students with a stronger sense of professionalism through written communication skills, nonverbal indicators of a professional image, and oral communication skills. Students should attend these 6 CEPs during the first 6 semesters enrolled at AU.

Ron Blue Financial Literacy CEPs (4 CEPs total to be completed online):

The Ron Blue Center CEPs will offer a framework for thinking differently about money. Students will learn how to handle money from a confident place - empowered by biblical financial wisdom. Each of the Ron Blue Center CEPs will teach students about financial management through the

4 H system: Heart, Health, Habits, and Hope. Sophomore students will receive an email informing them of how to access their online CEPs during sophomore year.

Student Selected CEPs (11 CEPs total):

These CEPs will include art exhibitions, musicals, plays, and music performances from the South Carolina School of the Arts, lectures and presentations from other academic departments, and a range of topics that support the AU Core Curriculum. These CEPs allow students to experience art, culture, and history as well as explore a range of student issues.

Transfer Students (previously degree seeking full time students at another college or university) will:

  • Participate in the First Year CEPs in the fall semester or participate in online First Year CEPs if the student arrives during the Spring semester.
  • Complete 6 AU PRO CEPs prior to graduation.
  • Complete 4 online Ron Blue Financial Literacy CEPs prior to graduation.
  • Be responsible for completing 2 Student Selected CEPs per semester of full-time enrollment at AU.

Contact Information for CEP tracks:

First Year CEPs:
Office of Student Development
Third Floor of G. Ross Anderson, Jr. Student Center
Tonya Landrith

AUPRO Signature Series:
Center for Career Development
Second floor of G. Ross Anderson, Jr. Student Center
Bethany Turner

Ron Blue Financial Literacy CEPs:
Ron Blue Center
Vandiver 302
Dr. Gordon Smith

Student Selected CEPs:
Office of Student Development
Third Floor of G. Ross Anderson, Jr. Student Center
Tonya Landrith

Application for Graduation

Students nearing completion of their degree must complete an Application for Undergraduate Graduation. Applications are accepted in the fall for spring graduation and in the spring for summer and fall graduation. Deadlines for applications are set by the University Registrar and distributed to students. Failure to meet the stated deadline may result in a delay in time of graduation. Students may apply for graduation using the link to the digital Application for Graduation located on the University Registrar’s webpage.

Official degree audits are sent to the student’s Anderson University e-mail account. All students applying for spring and fall graduation are expected to participate in the respective commencement ceremony. Students applying for summer graduation are invited to participate in the December commencement.

The graduation application fee for those applying by the stated deadline is $50. Any applications submitted after the deadline are assessed an additional $25 fee. Students not meeting degree requirements are required to reapply for any subsequent graduations. Caps and gowns are ordered through the University Bookstore.

Clearing Financial Obligations Prior to Graduation

Any indebtedness to Anderson University for tuition, fees, library fines, parking fines, disciplinary fines, room, board, or Bookstore charges must be cleared before graduation. Failure to do so will result in losing the privilege to participate in commencement, delay in receiving a diploma, and inability to receive any transcripts.

CLEP, ACE Credits, Correspondence Course Limitations

A maximum of 24 semester hours credit is given for formal education in the armed services, based on American Council on Education guidelines. A maximum of 24 semester hours of CLEP credit may be applied toward a degree at the University. No credit is awarded for CLEP general examinations. Courses in which a grade of “D” or “F” is earned may not be repeated through CLEP. The Graduate and Evening Admission Office and the Registrar’s Office can provide a list of CLEP tests, the course equivalents, and the minimum scores required for receiving course credit. Credit earned through correspondence studies offered by an accredited college or university may be transferred to Anderson University. The University’s policies do not allow the awarding of credit for other prior experiential learning. 

Declaring a Major/Minor

Students may declare a major at any time during the freshman or sophomore years. Some majors require certain courses at the freshman and sophomore levels; students should consult their advisor to assist in course selection. A major must be declared upon the completion of 36 semester hours. Completion of all requirements for the selected major is necessary for graduation. Students wishing to declare or change their major should contact the Administrative Assistant for the College in which their desired major resides.

Students may elect to have a minor. Since requirements in the minors vary according to discipline, students should make their selection as early as possible, but preferably before the junior year. The minor will be recorded on the official transcript but not on the diploma. Students wishing to declare a minor should contact the Administrative Assistant for the College in which the minor resides. In the event of scheduling conflicts, the major must always take precedence.

Double Major

Students may choose to major in two subjects, or in other words to complete a double major. All general education and major requirements for both majors must be completed. While courses required for the second major may be used either to meet requirements or as electives for the first, there must be at least 20 (twenty) semester hours that are different between the two majors. Thus pursuit of a double major will likely require exceeding the eight semesters normally required to earn the bachelor’s degree.

Residency Requirement

Candidates for a Bachelor’s degree must earn a minimum of 25% of the credit hours in the degree program at Anderson University, including at least 24 credit hours of upper-division coursework in the major. Furthermore, courses in which the student received the grade of D or F are not eligible for transfer to Anderson University.

Any student wishing to appeal this policy must demonstrate extraordinary circumstances. The appeal should be directed to the Office of the Provost.

Additional Policies and Regulations

Academic Honesty and Dishonesty

Link to Academic Honesty and Dishonesty  Policy

Academic Load

The academic load is measured in terms of “credit hours.” Undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours during a semester are considered full-time students. For traditional students, an average semester load is 16 credit hours. Residential students on the main campus are required to be enrolled in at least 12 hours to retain the privilege of living in a university residence hall. Students who enter as contractually admitted are limited to a maximum of 16 (18) credit hours during the first semester.

For traditional students on the main campus there is a single tuition charge based on full-time enrollment, 12-18 credit hours. The student taking more than 18 credit hours in a semester is charged additional tuition. No courses are exempt from overload charges. Some courses, such as applied music courses, require an additional fee regardless of the student’s load. A student’s financial liability for the semester is determined by the credit hours enrolled on the Date of Financial Responsibility each term, session, or semester.

In unusual cases, a student may be permitted to exceed the normal credit-hour load. Students wishing to enroll in more than 18 credit hours must submit this request in writing during the registration period to the Dean of the College or School which houses the student’s major. The student requesting an overload must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0. A request for an academic load of 20 or more credit hours must also be approved by the Vice Provost.

If a student is struggling to meet the standard for Satisfactory Academic Progress, the student may be advised to take a reduced number of hours.

For adult studies students, a normal load is two courses per seven week term. An adult studies student, who has completed at least 12 credit hours at Anderson and earned a 3.0 cumulative GPA, may seek approval from his Journey Coach to take three courses per seven week term.  It is important for students to consult with the Office of Financial Services before committing to additional credit hours to ensure they have the financial resources to take on the cost of additional courses. In order to continue enrolling in three course per seven week term, the student must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA.

Permission for adult studies students to take more than three courses per seven week term can only be granted by the Vice Provost. The Vice Provost will expect to see a GPA higher than a 3.0 in order to grant this request for a super over-load in the adult studies program.


Registration is the process of enrolling in classes for a semester or session. Current students may register for classes following consultation with their faculty advisors or Journey Coaches. First-time freshmen students are registered for their fall classes by the administrative assistant of the college or school responsible for the program of study selected by the student on the application for admission. Once the student attends BaseCamp orientation, the schedule will be provided. New student schedule adjustments due to advanced placement or other scheduling conflicts are completed by the administrative assistant.  

For students transferring to Anderson University from another institution, contact the Dean of the respective College or school to register for classes once the transfer evaluation is completed. A student must be in good academic and financially cleared in order to complete the registration process. Any student not financially cleared is subject to having their schedule removed before the beginning of the semester and will not be allowed to attend classes.

Adding and Dropping Courses

Traditional students may add or drop courses through the dates listed in the academic calendar. A student is required to use Self Service through the end of the course add/drop period, normally the first eight class days in the semester, to adjust his/her schedule. Self Service closes once the add/drop period ends, and any course dropped during the first eight days of the semester does not appear on the student record.  Once the add/drop period ends, usually on the 9th day of the semester and until the mid-point of the semester, students must complete a Course Withdrawal form which requires approval signatures followed by submission to the Registrar’s Office in order to withdraw from a course. Courses from which a student withdraws are noted on the transcript with a grade of W.

Adult and graduate students enrolled in shorter terms should refer to the Important Dates calendar distributed by the Office of the Registrar for the add/drop deadlines and withdrawal dates associated with each term.

Attendance and Participation Requirement

Enrolled students are expected to maintain regular attendance in Seated courses and regular participation in Online courses. Individual departments establish attendance and participation expectations based on what is required for success within each discipline. Regardless of whether or not department policies establish penalties for insufficient levels of attendance/participation, all instructors will record physical or virtual (synchronous online) attendance for all Seated course class meetings, and will track participation during all Online (asynchronous) courses. Participation in Online courses is determined by whether or not students are submitting work for assessment by the instructor.

Administrative Withdrawal

If a student consecutively misses 25% of the semester or term noted by a lack of attendance (Seated) or participation (Online), the faculty member will assign an Administrative Withdrawal as soon as the 25% threshold of non-attendance or non-participation is reached. If the student had been attending/participating regularly and submitting satisfactory (passing) assignments up to the point of their disengagement from the class, a grade of WP will be assigned. If the student had not been attending/participating regularly and unsatisfactory (failing) work had been submitted, a grade of WF will be assigned.

Access to Course Materials in Learning Management System

Each course section (online, blended, or seated) at Anderson is provided with a course page through the Learning Management System (i.e. Canvas). The course materials, activities, and resources provided on those course pages are made available by individual course instructors. Student access to courses is limited to courses in which each student is enrolled. The Canvas courses are provided and intended for students to complete individual courses requirements. Your credentials (login ID and password) for access to the learning management system should not be shared with anyone for any reason. This includes backup of your credentials, entry into the LMS or completion of course requirements, assignments, or assessments.

Access to Canvas course pages will be automatically closed fourteen days after grades have been submitted. Students are responsible for maintaining and keeping copies and records of their own course materials on their own personal computers or cloud-based storage system (e.g., Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive etc.). In no event will Anderson University be liable to you for any incidental, indirect, special, or consequential damages arising out of your use or improper use of credentials or the materials provided. Infringement of these items will result in an academic review.

Classification of Students

Students are classified according to the number of semester hours earned, at the following semester-hour intervals:

  Semester Hours Earned   Classification
  0 - 29   Freshman
  30 - 59   Sophomore
  60 - 89   Junior
  90 or above   Senior

Classification of TCR refers to students who are seeking initial teaching certification. “Special” is used for students renewing their teaching certification or adding on an additional endorsement. Students are also classified as either “resident” or “commuter” and as “part-time” or “full-time.” Full-time students are those who are registered for 12 or more semester hours of course work during a semester. If a resident student drops below 12 semester hours, permission from the Vice President for Student Development must be granted to remain in a university residence.

Course Numbering

Courses designated for different levels are numbered as follows:

100-level-Freshman; 200-level-Sophomore; 300-level-Junior; 400-level-Senior; 500-level- or higher - Graduate

Freshmen may not register for 300-400 level courses. Students classified as sophomores may not register for 400-level courses and may not register for 300-level courses without special permission from the instructor in the course and from the head of the College or School division in which the course is listed. Students classified as juniors may register for any level course for which a prerequisite has been met.

Tests and Examinations

Learning Assessments in Courses

Periodic tests, exams, and other assessments, and final examinations or assessments at the end of the semester occur in all courses. Such final assessments may include seated or online exams, major projects, research papers, creative works, performances, etc. When a student is absent on the day of an examination, or assessment due date, the instructor for the course determines whether the student is to be allowed to make up the test or examination missed. See catalog section on Permission to Make Up Missed Exams here.

Modern Language Placement

At Anderson University, most students want to continue to study a foreign language. To better assess proficiency in French or Spanish, current students, transfer students and incoming freshmen who have previously studied French or Spanish must take our online placement test in that language. Placement tests are mandatory for any student who intends to continue in a language previously studied. Placement exams for other languages, such as Portuguese, may be completed in consultation with the Department of Modern Languages and Culture if needed. 
There is no need to take a placement test in a language you have not studied before or don’t speak at home. 
Native speakers of a language other than English are not normally allowed to earn credit for the first two years of college credits in their native language. They may be allowed to earn credit at the third year and beyond; ultimately, however, the language department has the right to place the student at the appropriate level.

Policies Governing Final Examinations

  1. Exams will be given on the day and hour scheduled. Students will not be permitted to take exams early except for highly extenuating circumstances. Late exams will be scheduled ONLY when a student has a verifiable debilitating illness or injury or a death in the immediate family, which occurs at a time that requires the student’s absence from an exam. When one of these circumstances applies, the student is required to notify the instructor before the time of the exam so that a grade of I (Incomplete) can be recorded for the course, if necessary. The Request for Incomplete Grade Form is available on the Registrar’s page of the University website. The student is also required to arrange with the instructor a time when the exam can be scheduled.
  2. If a student has more than two exams on the same day, he or she may request to take one or more exams with another section of the same course or by another arrangement, approved by the instructor, for completing the exam within the days designated as the exam period.
  3. The semester’s work for a course ends when the final examination has been given.

Transfer Policy

The Anderson University Transfer Policy states the criteria for evaluating, awarding and accepted credit for transfer. The minimum acceptable grade eligible for transfer is a “C” from a regionally accredited institution. If an institution is not accredited by a regional accreditation process, it may hold other national accreditations that are acceptable as recognized by the U. S. Department of Education, https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. Therefore, courses earned at the non-accredited institution may be reviewed on a case by case basis. The course description, learning outcomes, and type course (lower-division or major or minor) are considered as well as the academic rigor of the course.  No developmental or remedial courses may be transferred (courses numbered 100 or below). The University’s policies do not allow the awarding of credit for other prior experiential learning.

Course equivalencies may be determined by trained and academically qualified personnel in the Office of the Registrar. Any questionable courses may be assigned a General Elective or Subject Area Elective (i.e. math elective, business elective, etc.) course title and referred to the department chair for review and consultation. If a course equivalency can be established by the department, the course is entered into the Transfer Policy by registrar staff. Otherwise, the course remains an elective on the student record.

Transfer grades will not be computed in the grade point average. Transfer credit is awarded based on semester hours taken at the transferring institution. Quarter hours and other credits will be converted to semester hours.

In the Teacher Education Program, Anderson University is obliged by accreditation standards to accept only courses considered equivalents of the courses in the University’s approved Teacher Education Program. The Dean of the College of Education must approve all transfer courses for education majors. Transcripts of transfer students will be evaluated as soon as possible after acceptance. Students will be directed by the Registrar’s Office to make an appointment with the College Dean of their chosen major to discuss the transfer courses that have been accepted.

Transient Course Work Policy

Students currently registered at Anderson University may apply to take courses at another institution while still enrolled at Anderson. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure compliance with the institution’s Residency Requirement. Students must submit a Transient Course Work Approval form and receive approval from the Office of the Registrar prior to enrolling at another institution. Additionally, a grade of “D” or “F” may not be transferred to Anderson.

International Baccalaureate

Anderson University will award academic credit to students who have earned grades of five or better in their higher-level subjects in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program. No credit is awarded for subjects passed at the standard level. Students should have transcripts sent from the International Baccalaureate Program. The University Registrar, along with the appropriate College Dean, will evaluate individual courses for academic credit.

Credit by Examination

Advanced Placement. Academic credit may be awarded for Advanced Placement scores and CLEP exams based on ACE recommendations of the College Board and established minimum scores determined by the faculty. AP examinations with a score of 3 or higher will be accepted for credit at Anderson University provided that an official copy of the score is received by the Registrar’s Office. A student’s transcript will note credit earned (CR).

College Level Examination Program. CLEP is intended to award college-level achievement without regard to how that achievement was attained. Only subject exams, essentially end-of-course tests developed for specific courses, are applicable to credit at Anderson University.

Course Challenge. Earning credit through examination by Course Challenge is a rare opportunity that may be granted under unique circumstances, provided the student meets all requirements, set by the College Dean. Course challenges require that the student demonstrate subject and content mastery through an examination. Students may challenge a maximum of six (6) credit hours for a minor or certificate and a maximum of twelve (12) credit hours for a major. Course Challenges must be approved by the appropriate faculty member, the Dean of the College or School, and the Office of the Provost. Exceptions to the credit hour limitation must be approved by both the Dean and the Provost. Students may not receive credit by examination for an independent or directed study course, an audited course, a course with an acceptable CLEP examination, or a course in which a grade of D or F has been earned. Students desiring credit by examination may not attend any classes in a course related to the challenge. The student may consult the faculty member early in the term about the content of the examination, the style of questions, the standards by which it will be evaluated, and a recommended list of readings. Upon approval, a student must register for the examination during the registration period and pay the examination fee. Faculty, staff, and their dependents must pay the full amount of tuition charged for independent study or directed study courses. Credit by examination is awarded for a grade of C or higher. An entry of CR will be placed on the transcript indicating that credit has been awarded. If the grade on the examination is below C, an entry of NC will be recorded. The semester hours earned through credit by examination will count in the hours earned, but a student’s grade-point average is not affected by a course challenge. Students earning a grade of NC must wait a minimum of six months to repeat the exam.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

IB Higher Level Subject
(Score of 5 or higher )
Anderson University Equivalency Earned Hours
Language A: Literature ENG LIT ELEC 3.0
Language A: Language and Literature ENG 101   3.0
Classical Languages GEN ELEC 3.0
Language B FOR LANG ELEC 3.0
Business Management MGT 210   3.0
Economics ECO 212   3.0
Geography GEO 102   3.0
History HIS ELEC 3.0
Information Technology in a Global Society CIS ELEC 3.0
Philosophy PHI 101   3.0
Psychology PSY 101   3.0
Social and Cultural Anthropology SOC 101   3.0
Biology BIO 110  & BIO 111   8.0
Chemistry CHE 111  & CHE 112   10.0
Computer Science CIS ELEC 3.0
Design Technology GEN ELEC 3.0
Physics PHY 201  & PHY 202   8.0
Further Mathematics MAT 140   4.0
Mathematics MAT 140   4.0
Dance THE ELEC 3.0
Film GEN ELEC 3.0
Music MUS ELEC 3.0
Theatre THE 120   3.0
Visual arts ART ELEC 3.0

Advanced Placement

(Scores must be 3 or higher)
Anderson University Equivalence Earned Hours
Art History ART 110   3
Music Theory  MUT 101   (Score of 4 or higher) 3
Studio Art: 2-D Design ART ELEC 3
Studio Art: 3-D Design ART ELEC 3
Studio Art: Drawing ART ELEC 3
Research GEN ELEC 3
Seminar CON ELEC 3
English Language and Composition ENG 101   3
English Literature and Composition ENG 219   3
Comparative Government and Politics PS ELEC 3
European History HIS ELEC 3
Human Geography GEN ELEC 3
Macroeconomics ECO 212   3
Microeconomics ECO 211   3
Psychology PSY 101   3
United States Government and Politics PS 101   3
United States History HIS 161  & HIS 162   6
World History HIS 181  & HIS 182   6
Calculus AB MAT 140   4
Calculus BC MAT 140  & MAT 190   8
Computer Science A CIS 202   4
Computer Science Principles CIS ELEC 3
Statistics MAT 108   3
Biology BIO 110  & BIO 111   8
Chemistry CHE 111 , CHE 112 , CHE 113  & CHE 114   10
Environmental Science BIO 104   4
Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism PHY 202  & PHY 204   4
Physics C: Mechanics PHY 201  & PHY 203   4
Physics 1: Algebra-Based PHY ELEC 4
Physics 2: Algebra-Based PHY ELEC 4
Chinese Language and Culture FOR LANG ELEC & FOR LANG ELEC 2 6
French Language and Culture FRE 111  & FRE 112   6
German Language and Culture FOR LANG ELEC & FOR LANG ELEC 2 6
Italian Language and Culture FOR LANG ELEC & FOR LANG ELEC 2 6
Japanese Language and Culture FOR LANG ELEC & FOR LANG ELEC 2 6
Spanish Language and Culture SPA 111  & SPA 112   6
Spanish Literature and Culture SPA ELEC & SPA ELEC 2 6

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Exam Subject Minimum Score Required AU Equivalence Earned Hours
US History 1 50 HIS 161    3.0
US History 2 50 HIS 162   3.0
Western Civilization 1 50 HIS ELEC 3.0
Western Civilization 2 50 HIS ELEC 3.0
American Government 50 PS 101   3.0
Prin. Microeconomics 50 ECO 211   3.0
Prin. Macroeconomics 50 ECO 212   3.0
Intro. Psychology 50 PSY 101   3.0
Human Growth & Dev. 50 PSY 205   3.0
Intro. Sociology 50 SOC 101   3.0
College Composition 50 ENG 101  & ENG 102   6.0
American Literature 50 ENG 217   6.0
English Literature 50 ENG 216   6.0
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 50 ENG LIT ELEC 6.0
Humanities 50 FA 200   3.0
Biology 50 BIO 110  & BIO 111   8.0
Chemistry 50 CHE 111  & CHE 112   10.0
College Algebra 50 MAT 105     3.0
Calculus 50 MAT 113  & MAT 114   6.0
Financial Accounting 50 ACC 201   3.0
Information Systems 50 GEN ELEC 3.0
Intro Business Law 50 BUS 251   3.0
Prin. Management 50 MGT 210   3.0
Prin. Marketing 50 MKT 331   3.0
French, Level 1 50 FRE 111  & FRE 112   6.0
French, Level 2 59 FRE 111 , FRE 112 , FRE 211  & FRE 212   12.0
Spanish, Level 1 50 SPA 111  & SPA 112   6.0
Spanish, Level 2 59 SPA 111 , SPA 112 , SPA 211  & SPA 212   12.0
German, Level 1 50 FOR LANG ELEC 6.0
German, Level 2 60 FOR LANG ELEC 12.0

Online Courses

Anderson University offers online courses for students enrolled in the traditional, onsite degree programs as well as the adult studies and graduate programs. Online and on-site courses may be used interchangeably to meet the school’s graduation requirements. Online courses may be accepted in transfer, provided that the courses have been approved by the Registrar and meet all other transfer requirements. The current policies governing online courses can be found on the University website.

Students who have not earned 30 credits are discouraged from enrolling in online courses. 

Requests for Adjustments in Course Delivery, Participation, or Section 

Students enrolled in a seated course section should not expect to change that enrollment to an online section after the Add/Drop Period, nor expect to be able to participate online only, when enrolled within a seated or hybrid course. Students are expected to remain in the same course section and modality for which they registered. Students requesting an adjustment in course delivery, participation, or section, due to special circumstances, have the following options:

  1. If the last date of withdrawal without academic penalty has not been reached, the student may withdraw from the course without academic penalty. There may be financial penalties that come with this option. (See “Withdrawal from Courses,” Academic Catalog.)
  2. If the student has a medical or other hardship that impedes the student’s ability to complete the semester, the student may request a Temporary Leave of Absence through the Center for Student Success. Requests with appropriate documentation will be considered and, if approved, will relieve the student of academic penalty. (See “Temporary Student Leave,” Academic Catalog.)
  3. If the student has successfully completed at least 50 percent of the coursework in a given course, the student may request a grade of Incomplete. If the Incomplete request is approved, the student will have 30 days from the last class period of the term to complete the coursework. (See “Incomplete Grades,” Academic Catalog.)
  4. In the case of a prolonged illness or injury during the semester, students may be away from classes for an extended period. Students who provide medical documentation to the Center for Student Success may request from their faculty flexibility in making up work and tests for their courses. While faculty are encouraged to work with students, in some circumstances the absence period may be too long to recover the coursework.

Students with unique circumstances that fall outside the options above may petition in writing to the Center for Student Success for review of the situation and request an adjustment to their schedule. Any such schedule adjustments must be recommended by the Center for Student Success and approved by the Office of the Provost.

Traditional Students Taking Adult Studies Courses

Adult Studies program is designed for post-traditional students, that is, those students having a minimum of 5-8 years life experiences beyond high-school, are financially independent, are working full-time, and who wish to advance their careers by earning a bachelor’s degree.

The accelerated format of the classes allows post-traditional students the opportunities to take classes during the evening or in the online format, in seven week sessions, five times throughout the year.

Given the mission and design of the Adult Studies program, students who do not meet the criteria of a post-traditional student are restricted from enrolling in Adult Studies classes, and are unable to register themselves for Adult Studies courses. Traditional students requiring additional courses or who hope to improve their GPA are directed to use the summer school sessions, not Adult Studies courses.

Rare enrollment exceptions for upper class traditional students may be made due to class scheduling conflicts that would have a negative impact on progress towards graduation. Traditional upper class students seeking to enroll in an Adult Studies course must request a Registration Exception with the dean of the college that has supervision of the class.

Independent and Directed Studies

Students may take an independent study course from the University curriculum with approval of the instructor, advisor, and College Dean. The student meets with the instructor individually and completes most of the course work through independent activities. A course that is being offered during a particular semester cannot normally be taken by independent study. Generally, a faculty member will not supervise more than six (6) semester hours of independent study concurrently. A directed study course may be offered when one or more students request a course which is not included in the curriculum of the University but which is appropriate to the mission and scope of the University.

Course requirements for independent study are the same as the requirements and learning objectives of the course when it is taught in structured classes. Independent study is approved only for students of high ability (generally requiring a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher) and motivation, inasmuch as it requires more time, concentration, and initiative for successful completion. A course in which a student has previously earned a grade of “D” or “F” may not be repeated through independent study. Tuition for independent and directed studies is not included in normal tuition charges (see Tuition & Fees ). Faculty, staff, and their dependents must pay the full amount of tuition charged for independent study or directed study courses.

Grade Point Average

The GPA is computed by dividing the total number of quality points earned by the total number of semester hours attempted at Anderson University, excluding repeats of courses in which the grade of “D” or “F” has been earned, any courses taken as pass/fail option, and any remedial courses. A student’s transcript shows two different calculations of the grade point average - term and cumulative. Term GPA is based on credit attempted and earned in a given semester. Dean’s list eligibility is based on this calculation. Cumulative GPA reflects overall credits and is the basis for graduation honors, admission to Teacher Education, and graduation. Academic probation and suspension is also determined by this calculation.

Right of Appeal

If a student perceives treatment to be unfair, capricious, or arbitrary in any academic decision, then such a decision may be appealed. Appeals must be initiated within one month of the date of the decision or action being appealed. The student should first appeal the decision in writing to the person who made it, stating appropriate rationale for reconsideration. If the matter is not resolved, the student may then appeal the decision in writing to the next highest authority. In matters related to courses, the line of appeal is the instructor in the course, then the College Dean, and finally the Office of the Provost. Each person to whom an appeal is made has five working days in which to communicate the decision to the student. Students should understand that mere unhappiness with a decision is not grounds for an appeal. For an appeal to have merit, there must be some evidence that the student has been treated inappropriately with regard to the administration of the University’s policies.

Grading System

The grades appearing on the transcripts of students at Anderson University are as follows:

Letter Grade Description Value
A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Average 2
D Passing 1
CR Credit 0
NC No Credit 0
F Failing 0
P Passing 0
I Incomplete (A student requested grade) 0
IP In Progress 0
W (Official) Withdrawal 0
WP Withdrawal (administrative) 0
WF Withdrawal (administrative) 0
NR No report by instructor 0
X Audit, no credit 0

Both “I” and “NR” are temporary grades. The grade designation “I” is a student-requested grade and is not assigned otherwise. “NR” is a designation that may appear when a grade is not reported by the instructor. This is a temporary grade and will be changed to a permanent grade by the instructor at the earliest opportunity. Grades of “I” and “NR” are not computed in the grade point average. The grade of “WP” will be calculated into the grade point average the same as a “W”. The grade of “WF” will be calculated into the grade point average the same as an “F”.

Each student is responsible for keeping a personal record of grade reports and total credits earned.

Incomplete Grades

It is the student’s responsibility to request the grade of “I”, an incomplete grade, when some extenuating circumstance beyond the student’s control (e.g. serious medical condition with documentation, required change in work schedule, etc.) prevents the completion of a course within the standard time requirement. An “I” is a temporary grade and can only be granted when a student has successfully completed at least 50% of the work required in the course. When the student does not meet this criterion, then it is likely a WP or WF should be assigned.

To initiate the process for assignment of an Incomplete, the student should have an initial conversation with the course instructor. Eligibility for an incomplete grade will be determined by the instructor’s review of the student’s progress in the course and the documentation provided by the student such as medical statements or a statement from the employer, as well as consideration of their own availability to extend the time period. The maximum allowable time for an extension is thirty days.

When the faculty member agrees that the student has met the criteria to be granted an Incomplete, and he or she is willing to accommodate the request, the faculty member will download and complete a copy of the Request for an Incomplete Grade. The instructor and the student must agree on the assignments that will be submitted late, and the form must include a list of these items. Signatures by both parties on the form will be viewed as agreement to the stated requirements for completion. Once the assignments are listed and the signatures provided, the completed form must be delivered to the Office of the University Registrar for processing. The Request for an Incomplete Grade Form must be submitted to the University Registrar before the end of the last regular class day in a semester or term.

Upon receipt of the completed form, the Office of the University Registrar will enter the grade of “I.” The instructor is required to submit the final grade within 10 days of receiving all designated assignments or no later than 10 days beyond the 30-day extension. In the unusual case when a grade is not submitted by the date indicated on the form, the “I” grade will be converted to an “F”. A student can access his or her transcript through the student portal to monitor the resolution of the course grade.

Pass/Fail Option

To encourage students to broaden their academic program Anderson University has established a policy whereby students, under certain circumstances, may register for a limited number of semester hours credit on a pass/fail basis.

The following guidelines apply: (1) Students must have earned at least 60 semester hours of credit and have earned at least a 2.5 GPA in order to register for courses on a pass/fail basis; (2) Students may register for no more than 12 semester hours of credit on a pass/fail basis in their degree program; (3) Students may not register for more than one pass/fail course in a given semester or summer term; (4) Students may not register for any general education requirement or major/minor requirement on a pass/fail basis, as only electives may be taken on a pass/fail basis; (5) Students must have satisfied all prerequisites for a course for which they register on a pass/fail basis or have the permission of the instructor to enroll in the course; (6) Students who have registered to take a course by pass/fail may not change this decision after the date of financial responsibility; (7) Students who wish to repeat courses in which they earned the grade of D or F may not register to take them on a pass/fail basis.

The following procedures are to be followed: Students who wish to register for a course on a pass/fail basis should obtain the Pass/Fail Option Checklist from the AU website, and return it to the Office of the University Registrar before the date of financial responsibility. Instructors are informed of students in their classes who are taking courses pass/fail. Students complete all requirements for a pass/fail course, including the final examination. Instructors report the grade a student earns in the course. The grade of P is recorded for students who earn an A, B, C, or D, or the grade of F for students who earn a failing grade. Courses taken on a pass/fail basis count in the computation of hours earned for courses in which a passing grade is earned. The grade of P does not count in the computation of the grade point average, but the grade of F is computed in the grade point average.

Grade Changes

Once a grade has been recorded, it may be changed only by the instructor to correct a computational error; and such changes must be approved by the Dean of the College in which the course is listed. If a student feels that a grade received has been assigned unfairly then the grade may be appealed. The appeal must be presented in writing within one month in the following order: the instructor who assigned the grade, the Dean of the College in which the course is listed, and finally the Provost. However, a decision to change a grade in such cases can be made only by the Provost.

Grade Reports

Students may view their grades by using the University’s online resources.

Dean’s List

Outstanding academic achievement is recognized each term by inclusion on the Dean’s List. Full-time students who have a term grade point average of 3.5 or better are eligible for this recognition. Grades in courses numbered 100 or below and incompletes are not calculated in the determination of eligibility for the Dean’s List.

Graduation Honors

Anderson University follows the practice of graduating students with honors and confers three categories of recognition to outstanding students.

First, the President’s Award is presented to a member of the graduating class who best exemplifies a balance between campus leadership, citizenship, scholastic aptitude, Christian commitment, and concern for fellow students. Second, during the awarding of diplomas, members of the graduating class are named to membership in the Denmark Society, which honors former President Annie Dove Denmark. Students named to this honor represent the highest Anderson University ideal in leadership, campus citizenship, scholarship and Christian character. Finally, students who successfully complete the Honors Program are recognized in the graduation program, and a notation of this achievement appears on the diploma.

The graduation program and diploma designate honor graduates of high academic attainment using the following Latin phrases: Cum Laude, 3.50 to 3.74 GPA; Magna Cum Laude, 3.75 to 3.94 GPA; and Summa Cum Laude, 3.95 to 4.00 GPA. (Note: Grades in courses numbered 100 or below are not calculated in the determination of eligibility for graduating with honors. Graduate students are not eligible for Latin honors due to GPA requirement for degree program.)

Graduation Marshals

Graduation Marshals provide support to graduates and their families along with other commencement participants during the graduation ceremony in the spring. It is an honor to be selected to serve as a marshal, and the criteria are based on academic excellence at the University. During the spring semester, the Office of the Provost will contact the top 25 students according to grade point average in the junior class who meet the following criteria: must have completed at least 75 hours and no more than 110 hours and have no more than 30 semester hours of transfer and/ or advanced placement work. Preference in selection is given to those who are rising seniors at the end of the spring semester. Those who agree to serve as marshals must attend a rehearsal the day before commencement and be available early on the morning of commencement until the end of the ceremony. A smaller number of these students are asked to support the December Commencement.

Repetition of Courses

Students may only repeat a course in which they previously earned a grade of “D” or “F.” A course may not be repeated more than twice. Students who enroll in a course more than a total of three times will be removed from the course.

Even though a student may repeat a course to improve a grade-point average, all grades earned at Anderson University remain on the transcript. However, the highest grade earned for a course will be used in computing the grade-point average. The exception to the computation of the grade-point average occurs when the course is repeated at another institution. For a course taken at another institution, the credit is applied to the AU transcript, but the grade will not be added to the grade-point calculation.

Good Academic Standing

To be in good academic standing, students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.00.

Academic Probation and Suspension

A student who fails to maintain the required 2.00 minimum cumulative grade-point average will be placed on academic probation. A student who fails to maintain the 2.00 minimum cumulative grade-point average for two consecutive semesters of enrollment will be placed on academic suspension from Anderson University for one semester.

The grade-point average used to determine academic probation and suspension is reflected in the “Cum” line on the student’s transcript and includes all courses numbered 100 and above.

Good academic standing is reviewed for Academic Probation and Suspension following fall and spring semesters only.

Note: Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid eligibility is only reviewed at the end of spring semester except as a condition of an approved appeal.

Suspension Appeals and Eligibility for Financial Aid

A student on Academic Suspension may appeal in writing to the Office of the Provost. The appeal must be submitted by the deadline cited in the letter notifying the student of the suspension. To have an appeal seriously considered, a student must present pertinent information to justify granting the appeal.

Students who have an appeal approved are not considered to have achieved good academic standing; they remain on academic probation and remain ineligible for financial aid reinstatement until they have regained the required 2.00 minimum cumulative grade-point average. See Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid for additional eligibility requirements.

Re-enrollment Option for Students Academically Suspended After Spring Semester

Any student who is academically suspended from Anderson University after the spring semester is offered the opportunity to attend summer school at Anderson University for the purpose of improving his/her cumulative grade-point average to a minimum of 2.00. Please note, however, that summer school studies at other institutions will not satisfy this provision.

The student is strongly advised to consult with his/her academic advisor or the Registrar to determine the credit hours and grades needed in the summer in order to qualify for continued enrollment in the fall. Students are advised to retake courses where they earned less than a grade of C. This is the most efficient way to improve the cumulative grade-point average.

The offer of attending summer school for the purpose of improving his/her grade point average represents the student’s primary opportunity to gain continued enrollment in the fall semester. The only exception to this is that appeals for reinstatement without summer study will be heard in the event of a student being unable to attend summer school due to circumstances beyond his/her control. However, academic suspension is permanently noted on a student’s academic record at Anderson University and removed only in the event an institutional error has been made.

Re-Admission Following Suspension

The one-semester period of suspension is defined as beginning after the last day of the semester during which the student received suspension and continuing until the first day of the semester the student is eligible to begin a new semester at Anderson University. If a student wishes to enroll at Anderson University following the period of suspension, an Application for Admission must be submitted to the Admission Office. Decisions regarding re-admission will be based on evidence supporting the probability of successful completion of the academic program at Anderson University.

Students re-admitted following suspension are admitted on academic probation and their academic record is reviewed after they complete a minimum of twelve additional credit hours. Upon review, if the student’s cumulative grade-point average meets the minimum of 2.00, they will be removed from probation. If the student’s cumulative grade-point average does not meet the minimum of 2.00, he/she will be suspended a second time. Re-admission following a second suspension is not likely and would be granted only under unusual circumstances.

Courses completed at other institutions during the period of suspension may be transferred to Anderson University provided the student meets the criteria cited in the course transfer policy. Students are advised to work closely with their AU academic advisor to complete the Transient Course Work Approval form prior to taking classes at another institution.  Without prior approval, courses completed at other institutions may not be eligible for transfer to Anderson University.

Academic Forgiveness

Former Anderson University students who have broken enrollment due to poor academic performance may apply for Academic Forgiveness at the time of application for readmission. The following conditions apply:

  • Academic Forgiveness would apply to prior work taken at Anderson University only
  • Student must have had a GPA below 2.0 at time of prior attendance
  • Student must have been away for at least 5 years
  • After admission to the University, student would submit application for Academic Forgiveness to the Office of the University Registrar
  • All applicants for Academic Forgiveness would be marked as conditional admits
  • Student must complete 15 hours with at least a 2.5 GPA
  • Once hour and GPA requirement are fulfilled, work will be marked as Academic Forgiveness work and treated like transfer work - no course in which a grade of D was earned will be given credit; grades will continue to appear on transcript, but not computed into GPA and marked as “forgiven”.
  • Academic Forgiveness will apply to all prior coursework taken at Anderson University; student may not select certain courses.
  • Any student applying for and being granted Academic Forgiveness will not be eligible for honors at graduation.

Financial and Academic Responsibility

A student is financially and academically responsible for all enrolled classes at the end of the second week of classes for each fall and spring semester. This policy does not apply to summer sessions or to other special terms. Please refer to important dates calendar for DRF information for adult studies and graduate courses.

Interruption of Enrollment

Students whose enrollment at Anderson University is interrupted for two or more regular semesters must apply for re-admission. If re-admitted, they come under the curriculum and regulations stated in the catalog in effect at the time of their readmission.

Repetition of Coursework After Re-Admission

Students who are returning to Anderson University after a period of five years or more may be required to repeat courses in which a grade of C or better is earned if the course(s) is determined to be integral to their degree program. Determination of this requirement will be made by the Dean of the college for the student’s major and the University Registrar. Transfer students will be subject to the same five year time limit for any work transferred into Anderson University that is determined to be integral to their declared major. In this case, such courses will be accepted as electives and not as a direct transfer. Exceptions to this policy will be made on a case by case basis and determined by the respective Dean and the University Registrar.

Permission to Make Up Missed Exams and Assignments/Assessments

In seated face-to-face and virtual (synchronous online) class meetings, Excused and Unexcused Absences are both recorded as absences, but if scheduled exams and other in-class graded activities are missed due to an Excused Absence, students are be allowed to make up or complete in-class graded activities. 

Excused Absences for representing Anderson University in officially sponsored activities will be documented by the instructor or staff member responsible for the event providing a list of participants to the Office of the Provost, which will maintain and publish an approved absences calendar and lists of events participants. Students who miss scheduled exams and other in-class graded activities because they are representing Anderson University in such officially sponsored activities may be granted permission to complete the activity upon returning to class. Students must present a signed permission form to the class instructor before the missed assignment, at which point the instructor will specify the time and means of making up the assignment.

Excused Absences for medical purposes must be accompanied by official medical documentation from a health care provider or other appropriate documentation requested by the instructor. 

Excused Absences for civic responsibilities such as jury duty or military service will be established by documentation from the appropriate government authorities.

This policy does not apply to papers or other assigned work intended to be completed outside the classroom. Such work should be submitted via the LMS or other means, in advance of the absence, or by the due date.

Students’ opportunities to make up or complete graded work missed for unexcused absences is solely at the discretion of the instructor.

Withdrawal from Courses

Important: Please note any changes in enrollment during the add/drop period or course withdrawal at any point of the semester may result in revisions to financial aid and/ or billing for the semester. Contact the Office of Financial Aid Services to determine the impact of such changes on financial aid eligibility prior to adding/dropping or withdrawing from courses.

Students may drop a traditional semester course within the first eight class days of the semester without the course appearing on their transcript. Students will receive a grade of “W” in any course from which they withdraw after the eighth class day in the semester or term. Students enrolled in a shorter term, not the full semester, course may drop within the first week and not have the course appear on their transcript. If a student withdraws from a course after the first week, they will receive a grade of “W” and the withdrawal must be requested in writing. Students in all programs - traditional, adult studies, and graduate, should refer to posted information each semester for specific drop and withdrawal dates. Any course in which a grade of “W” is received is subject to tuition charges. Students should refer to the Financial Aid section of the catalog for specific information pertaining to charging for withdrawn courses.

Students who cease to attend/participate in classes are administratively withdrawn by the University. The faculty will report a grade of WP or WF to the Registrar for a student who is consecutively absent or non-participating for 25% of the length of the semester or term.  If a student exceeds the number of absences allowed in the course after the deadline for withdrawing from courses, the student will receive the grade of “WF” for the course. Students receiving federal financial aid will have eligibility reviewed and adjusted per regulations.

Withdrawal from the University

The University recognizes that certain situations may necessitate withdrawal from the University during an academic term. This process for official withdrawal typically begins with the Center for Student Success for traditional students and with the Journey Coach for Adult and Graduate students. A grade of “W” or “F” may be assigned depending on the date of official withdrawal. Students receiving federal financial aid will have eligibility reviewed and adjusted per regulations. If the withdrawal date is after the deadline, the grade of “F” is assigned for all courses registered. If a student’s withdrawal from the University after the deadline is caused by extenuating circumstances, it may be appealed to the Provost and Center of Student Success for approval to receive the grade of “W.” Students who withdraw from the University may be eligible for partial refund. Refer to the Financial Information section of this catalog for the refund schedules.

Temporary Student Leave

On occasion a student may face unavoidable circumstances that require him or her to withdraw from the University during an academic term. Such circumstances may allow the student to request a Temporary Leave of Absence from the University. Temporary Leave may be requested for a number of extenuating circumstances, including but not limited to childbirth, military service, or physical or mental health crises. Under Temporary Leave the student will be allowed to return to the University within one year without having to reapply or to change the catalog for her or his program of study.

A student may qualify for Temporary Leave of Absence if 1) the student is in good academic standing with the University; and 2) the student provides supporting documentation and receives approval from the Center for Student Success.

Students seeking a Temporary Leave complete a Withdrawal form with the Center for Student Success. As part of that process, a professional staff member will be designated as the clearance contact for the student’s return to enrollment. If a student is denied a Temporary Leave of Absence, the student may appeal this decision to the Provost’s Office.

When the student is ready to return to the University, the student must request an interview with the designated staff member. Following an interview and review of any appropriate supporting documents, the staff member will determine the student’s readiness to return. Once the student is deemed ready to return, the staff member will notify the Office of Student Development to have the “stop” removed from the student’s account, and the academic advisor may be notified that the student is allowed to again engage in the registration process. If the student’s request to re-enroll is denied by the designated staff member, the student may appeal this decision to the Vice President for Student Development or his/her designee.

Requests for Temporary Leave of Absence for a given term are not granted after classes have ended for that term.

Requests for Transcripts

Students may request a copy of their academic record by submitting a request to the secure Clearinghouse website, www.studentclearinghouse.org, or by filling out a “Transcript Request Form” in Anderson Central. Official transcripts are $15.00 each. Transcripts will not be released for any individual who has any indebtedness to Anderson University. Unofficial transcripts are available online.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

As a Title IV Federal funds granting institution, Anderson University is required to comply with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). This section outlines the FERPA rights of eligible students.

“FERPA,” The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. (An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attend a postsecondary institution.) These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Anderson University receives a request for access. A student should submit to the University Registrar a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The University Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University Registrar, the student will be advised of the correct university official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  • The right to provide written consent before Anderson University discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  • The University discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Anderson University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the Board of Trust; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Anderson University who performs an institutional service of function for which the University would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the University with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Anderson University.
  • Anderson University may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student:
    • To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U. S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the University’s State-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federal- or State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with the Federal legal requirements that related to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf.
    • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.
    • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (1) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction.
    • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions.
    • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes.
    • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena.
    • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency.
    • Information the school has designated as “directory information.”
    • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding.
    • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or nonforcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her.
    • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21.
    • The disclosure concerns sex offenders and other individuals required to register under section 17010 of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.
    • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Anderson University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

FERPA Annual Notice Addendum

As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records - including Social Security number, grades, or other private information - may be accessed without the student’s consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities (“Federal and State Authorities”) may allow access to those records and PII without student consent to any third party designed by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program. The evaluation may related to any program that is “principally engaged in the provision of education,” such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive students’ PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without student consent PII from education records, and they may track student participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about you that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.

Information About Students Considered Public Records

Certain items are considered to be public information and may be released by the University without written consent unless the University is instructed to withhold such information from the public. Items of public information are name, address, telephone listing, parents’ names, date of birth, field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of varsity athletes, dates of attendance, recognitions, degrees and awards received, and previous educational institutions attended. Any student who does not want this information released by the University must communicate this preference in writing to the Registrar by the end of the first week of classes each semester.